FP Markets has warned all investors regarding Unknown Third Parties using domain names that are in no way connected with FP Markets have contacted clients fraudulently.
See the official statement of FP Markets regarding this matter below.
Important information about your account security
“We are writing to you with an update regarding the data security incident which has impacted a small number of our clients.
If you have registered for a FP Markets demo or live trading account, then you may be affected.
Unknown Third Parties using domain names that are in no way connected with FP Markets have contacted clients fraudulently.
The communications include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Third parties claiming to be an FP Markets representative;
- Stating incorrectly that FP Markets are set to close client accounts;
- Requesting clients’ “know your client” (KYC) details; and
- Requesting that clients withdraw their funds.
Such requests are false and are not made on behalf of FP Markets.
They should be disregarded.
If you have received or receive any such contact going forward, please advise us immediately.
We first identified the potential issue in early September 2020 and took immediate steps to investigate it (with a third-party independent IT expert), and where necessary, rectify any issues.
We are in communication with the relevant Privacy Commissioners about these issues.
The external IT expert was unable to verify that a data breach had occurred, identify any unauthorized access to our systems nor isolate any source of the leaked information.
However, if a data breach occurred then it appears to be limited to name, email address, phone number, and in a handful of cases, a limited amount of financial data limited to account balance or summary deposit data.
In the meantime, please be vigilant as follows:
- Beware of emails from individuals claiming to be FP Markets representatives contacting you via email or telephone from details that appear unfamiliar. The fraudulent emails hold themselves out to be from a FP Markets representative and contain the FP Markets logo and a variation of a staff auto signature but are in fact sent from a Gmail address.
- FP Markets would like to remind its clients that it never sends emails to its clients from email addresses outside the FP Markets domain. For a list of email addresses please refer to the Contact Us Section of our website.
What you should do if you are unsure about unsolicited correspondence?
Please stay alert and remain vigilant regarding any unsolicited communication from FP Markets and we encourage you to contact our Customer Support Team if you have any concerns or are suspicious in any way.”
Please contact FP Markets support team for any inquiries.